Monday, January 12, 2009

Service Dogs for Special Needs Children

Wow, I haven't written in too long...life is too busy, but, I have to start doing this. I don't want to forget the wonderful things happening. About a month ago I met a woman in Las Vegas that asked me if I had ever considered a service dog for my daughter. Hmm..really, I had never heard of anything like that. This blog will now sound pretty clinical, but, really, my hope is that someone will read this and their life will be changed as mine and my daughters'.

I will now go thru a list of diagnosis for her: She was born 6 weeks premature, weighing 2lbs 11oz. Her biological mother drank alcohol and took 2oz of crack cocaine, she stated, everyday of her pregnancy. Although its usually better not to be premature, Ariana was blessed by an early birth. Anyway, she has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, PDD-NOS, Mood disorder-NOS, significant sensory integration disorder..with secondary executive functioning disorder...(due to the FAS). She also has had some pretty serious attachment issues. She is now 7yrs old...and until June '07 had some type of therapy weekly...whether OT, PT, Speech...play therapy, psychologists, pyschiatrists...ah, you name it.

Life with this kiddo is challenging to say the least. She only started sleeping last July, when finally I agreed to some meds. One of the most challenging things as far as being her mom, is that it is so difficult for me to watch her be so very uncomfortable in her skin, almost all the time. A quick research of those diagnosis will give you a good idea of what we're talking about.

Anyway, I called a company called Colorado Service Dogs Inc. in December and asked if Ariana could be a candidate for a dog...and what we could hope for. First, these people are incredible to work with, the "get it" when it comes to these challenges with these kids, and they really care. That in itself is just tremendous...life is pretty difficult daily, when I don't have to explain everything, and then feel that darn judgement of someone who has no idea....well, suffice it to say Colorado Service Dogs, INC gets IT!!!!

Long story short, (I know, this is getting to be a novel) Ariana got her service dog last Thursday, and I cannot BELIEVE what has happened since then. She has not had one single screaming fit, meltdown..although she has been frustrated at times. Lily, (she named her dog) has calmed her in ways I don't even begin to understand. Twice, she has transitioned from one activity to another without any intervention on my part. TWICE! You all know what I'm talking about, this is a child usually within inches of my face 24/7, unable to function without constant intervention. Well, I have more to write, I hope to do this daily...gotta go for now, but, miracles are happening around here, and I am so grateful for her sake, as well as mine :)

.

No comments: